Saturday, September 19, 2015

Dubrovnik

Croatia is an absolutely beautiful country. The scenery is amazing and the water is extremely clear and so salty that you just float without trying. Swimming is a lot of fun here and it's not hard to see why so many people come here for the water.
That being said, Dubrovnik is incredibly touristy. It was very touristy before the show "Game of Thrones" came out and has only become more so. The area was extremely crowded and catered to tourists the entire way.
For those who don't know, Dubrovnik is the basis for the city in GoT called King's Landing. Several scenes from the show were filmed in the city. As we were approaching the city I was able to see the resemblencte even though I have only seen one season of the show. The city is entirely enclosed in city walls which is incredible to see. You can take a walk around the city walls for 100 Kuna which I might do tomorrow but we shall see.
We started off the day with a walking tour of the city. Our guide was raised in the area and told us some of the history of the city going back to Roman times. Because GoT is so popular, she showed us several areas that were scenes from the show. I'm glad that I did it, but I definitely wouldn't do it again.

After the walking tour we went on a cruise to two of the Croatian islands near Dubrovnik. There are tons of them but we just went to two. The first one we stopped at we jumped in and swam for a bit. The water was beautiful and crystal clear. The second one we stopped at was for lunch. I wanted to get seafood but was not willing to pay the overpriced fees so I grabbed a pizza instead which was tasty. I also had a local beer with it that was good but I don't know what it was. It was a very pleasant way to spend the afternoon.

Tomorrow we have another full day in Dubrovnik. I, and a few other guys, rented quads for 24 hours which will make going around super easy and fun. It should be interesting going around in a quad after being used to walking or public transit. I'm sure tomorrow will be a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment