Friday, September 11, 2015

Athens to Kavala

The first full day of my Contiki is complete and it was a pretty good day. There won’t be much to write about because it was mostly a travel day so we could get closer to the border for Turkey.
We did have one highlight though. We stopped at the memorial for the Battle of Thermopile. They have a statue of King Leonidas there and it is really cool. It was easy to see why it was impossible for the Persians to get through, as the area is extremely mountainous.

We also passed by Mount Olympus today. I tried to get a photograph but I didn’t really do a good job. We didn’t stop so I tried to do it from the bus.
All in all, Greece is beautiful. The country is very green and it is cool going through a country with so much historical importance. We stopped in Kavala for the evening and our campsite is right on the beach. I got to swim in the Ocean, which was nice. I stepped on a sea urchin but luckily got all the needles out. Tomorrow, we cross the border into Turkey so going through the border checkpoint should be fun. I'm super excited for the new experiences!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment