Thursday, September 10, 2015

Contiki Begins: Athens

I arrived in Athens today and had to immediately hurry. My flight got in at 2:00 local time and I had to be at the campsite for the meeting with Contiki at 6:00. The tour does not include Athens so I wanted to see the Parthenon before the tour. So I took the metro from the airport and dropped off my bags at a luggage spot and went to the Parthenon.
The entire area of the Acropolis seemed to be covered in scaffolding. There seemed like there was only one monument at the top of the hill that wasn’t. But, I got to see the main stop that I wanted to and that was the Parthenon. Because I still have my Chico State ID Card I was able to get in for half price, which was awesome.


After that, I went to pick up my bag and head to the campsite. I took a taxi that was less than 10 Euros (thanks Mom for the suggestion of the luggage drop off so I could see the Acropolis area, it made things cheaper as well as allowed me to actually see stuff in Athens). I arrived about 15 minutes late to the meeting because I wasn’t aware of the time change between France and Greece. It didn’t matter though. We did our orientation and learned about the tents and the buses.
Right now, I am writing this on Sep. 10th. I have no idea when I will be able to upload it because I don’t know when the WIFI will be good enough to do so. I hope that I will be able to do it tonight but I’ve been trying to connect to the WIFI here in vain and some of the campsites don’t even have WIFI. I apparently need to get a VISA for Turkey as well, which I didn’t know about and I can’t do that without WIFI either.  I am excited and nervous for the trip and as soon as I get that VISA issue solved I’ll be happy and relaxed. I hope everyone who wants to will be able to read this sooner rather than later but who knows. Talk to you all soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment