Wednesday, October 7, 2015

End of Contiki and Anne Frank

Today, we ended our Contiki experience. It was bittersweet for most people, including me. I made some good friends on the contiki and it was an awesome experience, but I was also extremely ready for it to be over and to move on to the next part of my experience.
We split up at the campsite. There were three groups of people: the ones staying in Amsterdam, the ones flying out of Amsterdam Airport, and the ones going to London. I was staying in Amsterdam so we were the first ones to say good-bye. After the coach left, we headed to public transportation to get to our hotels and split up to get to them. We told each other we would meet up later in the day though.
Once I checked into my hotel, I spent a while being very lazy because after the Contiki the hotel room was absolutely amazing. I eventually got up and grabbed lunch with Mike (Hawaii) and we went to the Anne Frank House.
The Anne Frank house is very moving. Going throughout Europe, you can still see some of the effects from WWII and Amsterdam definitely did not escape unscathed. Anne Frank was in hiding because she was Jewish during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands. She wrote a diary of her two years in hiding and it has become one of the most famous books in the world. Seeing the area that she and seven others had to live in was emotional. Photos were not allowed inside but I did get some photos of the outside.
After that, we went back to the hotels to get ready for dinner. I met with a group of the people who were on the Contiki for dinner. Rory, Mike, Kim, Kimberly, Foster and I made an interesting group as four different nationalities were represented (American, Canadian, Kiwi, and Australian). It was nice to get to see people again before we all went different directions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment