Saturday, October 17, 2015

Bristol

Bristol is a charming city. I’m not surprised that several of my friends decided to go to school here. It has the same feeling that Aix had when I went to school there. Aix has a little more of a touristy feel now but I’m sure during the tourist offseason (like now) Aix still feels the same way.
I started the day off by going to Castle Park. It is literally a park on the location of an old castle. It's very pretty now and you can see the remains of the old church and parts of the castle mixed in with the grass fields of the park.

After this, I headed of to the St. Nicholas Market. I walked around the old market a bit and saw a bunch of different types of food venders as well as different shops. I ended up getting lunch at a pub nearby. I didn't take any pictures when I was there initially, but I did end up back up that direction towards the end of the day and took pictures of the sign.
After lunch, I walked back down the river to the harbor. The first place that I went was to the M Shed, which is a museum of Bristol. It showed the history and culture of Bristol. I went through there pretty quickly but it was worth a see.

Walking along the harbor after the M Shed, I ran into the SS Great Britain which was originally designed by Brunel. She was the first iron steamer to cross the Atlantic Ocean, which she did in 14 days. I didn't go inside the ship because the prices were outrageous but I got some nice photos of the ship.
I took a ferry across the harbor for 80 pence and continued walking along the harbor. I eventually turned and began walking up the hills of Clifton Wood. Bristol is extremely hilly in parts and I walked up a decent amount of elevation pretty quickly. I worked my way over to Brandon Hill and walked through the park there. The park is absolutely beautiful.

Cabot Tower is located within Brandon Hill park. The tower is an impressive building rising out of the park. 
I thought that the tower and the views from the tower should have their own separate sections because each is impressive in its own right. Here are the views from the tower where you can get some of the best views in the city.

In one of those photos you can see the Clifton Suspension Bridge in the distance, which has become the symbol of Bristol.
Once I made it down the steps, I walked over to the College Green and Bristol Cathedral. Even though they were closed I was able to walk into the church because the choir was rehearsing with the organist. Even if this wasn't the case I wouldn't have been able to take photos inside so it was nice to have the ambiance of the choir. 

I ended the day by just wandering around the city. It sprinkled on me a little bit but the weather has been so good for so long (with a couple exceptions) that I couldn't complain even a little. Tomorrow, I will leave the United Kingdom and head on over to Ireland. 

No comments:

Post a Comment